Tuesday, September 11, 2007

VMware announces ESX Server 3i

VMware announced ESX Server 3i today, and it's basically an embedded version of ESX server. We just purchased an 8-core HP server with 16 gigs of memory for our first ESX box. We were planning on boosting it to 32 gigs and purchasing a 2nd ESX server along with an EqualLogic iSCSI SAN. After today's announcement, I think we will wait to see what HP's ESX 3i offering looks like. I'm hoping that it will lower our acquisition cost when we do make our 2nd ESX purchase.

And I'm grateful I had a chance to use ESX 3.0.2 in the meantime, I've learned a lot from setting it up, and can now say that I am comfortable in a Linux environment. I can't imagine learning as much about VMware from an appliance rather than actually building the box from scratch. But the simplified installation and upgrades should be nice. Plus there's less shit to break.

No comments: